Saturday, May 21, 2011

Truly, Madly, Casually

There is so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
That it would hardly behooves any of us,
To talk about the rest of us.

by Edward Wallis Hoch.


It’s been more than three years since I came here-Hamirpur, haven’t heard before. It was more of a chance than choice, for chances comes when you are almost lost and subdued, left with one or two alternative. In my case this was the best alternative, to join this college in computer science stream. Seriously I didn’t had any flavor for computers, to me its importance was restricted to games and movies, but my family member thought differently. That’s how I came!
From the very first day…
That day was unique; people like me were lost and confused. I was looking for “AD-104”-my room. I entered with a knock and saw some 4,5 people already waiting for me. They were my seniors. The first few things I learned here were 3rd-button, 90, intro- credit goes to my seniors. They made me realize that for the next few days I will not be what I used to be. I will be addressing them as “Sir” and will wear formals and all.
Then I meet this guy who happens to be my roommate- for three years, finally they give us singlet in final year. Confident and smart, I had to say he was my roommate for three years. It didn’t take long for us to become friends as we shared the same philosophy: life is too bad to be wasted among books. So my life at Hamipur started with fun, like going for late night walk and then missing 8:30 lecture. They deserved, they were damn boring. I had other friends too, all smart and confident, that’s how I would like to believe. I am good at making friends and soon I made so many friends that it was pain to shake hands with all. We used to do it in first year every time we meet- childish, isn’t?
But not everyone was like us. There were people who started visiting library from the very next week, for no one was allowed during the first few days. One has to do with other formalities like ragging and all.
Hostel life is great, it didn’t took me long to identify people like me, who were madly interested to explore the casual side of life.
That first puff…
For weeks it continued like that. Everything was fun and only fun. I, rather we, started to leave a reckless life. We were active in organizing mass bunk. We preached the philosophy of “enjoy and make others enjoy”.AD-104 became an entertainment room, we were the host. I often used to think if it would continue like this for ever, for I would see no reason to change it. Then one day we got an assignment- chemistry assignment. I used to be a studious guy at school, one of those who would love to work out their problem fast and distribute among friends. But I was not sure whether I wanted to do this assignment or not. I had no idea about it; I haven’t studied anything till then. Still I thought maybe this would be one chance for me to get back to studies. I called my friend, who happens to leave next to my room. He looked studious that time, though I later found he is not. We started our assignment. It was so boring, I can’t describe it. I would read the same lines again and again, but they hardly made any sense. We started talking about teacher and classes, engineering life style. How it change one’s life and how often it brings the man out of a child. I was feeling different, in fact a pain. Maybe I tried studying after such a long period. Soon everything looked lousy and i thought we need a break. I had often heard that cigarette give you instant energy and that’s why most of the doctors are smokers. To my surprise my friend also advocated the same philosophy. We borrowed three cigarettes, one for me one for my friend and last one for the one who survives till the end. Next moment we were busy puffing and coughing. First fag is really difficult, you might have experienced it, it knocks the hell out of you. Unfortunately we both survived, more so to prove ourselves. First was followed by second and then third. Three each that too on the first day. After I finished I felt bad, really cigarette stinks. We discussed again how this teachers and classes bring out the man out of child, how successful they are! Next morning I missed my 8:30 classes. I had no option left but to copy that assignment and submit it by noon. That was my first experience with assignments and I preferred to copy it than to go for smoking, I still follow the same rule and I am proud of it.
Periodicals- three days of excruciating pain.
After that there was nothing to do. I tried to keep myself busy with other activities. I started working for some of the clubs but most of the time I would spend enjoying with my friends. Then there was this periodical- three days of excruciating pain. First periodical is always scary. I didn’t had books to study so I went to library, but unfortunately I was late. I mean not much was left to issue. I wanted a book, I had too. I went into the novel section and issued one novel-“men women and child”, my friend suggested it, he is amazing when it comes to books. First day was ok, I managed to read important point before to the exam but still felt boring during the paper. Anyway was I was not feeling scary anymore. I came to my room. In the evening everyone was looking for books, so was me. I got hold of one of them but for 2 hours; that’s how it works in engineering. I finished everything before time, you can always do it here, in fact I didn’t even complete the half of it. But I didn’t feel scary. After I returned those books there was practically nothing to do. For some of my friends were busy reading and some were sleeping, they would read in the morning. I was alone. Never did I felt alone but that was my first experience after coming here. I took that novel and started reading it. I was like anyone busy whole night. Next morning I felt happy, after so many days I did something worthwhile, I was really happy.
Girls…
After periodical there was nothing much left to explore since by that time I had already defined my life in the domain of this four letter word “NJOY”. Anyway in the mean time I forgot to tell you one thing- Girls. Engineering life is never complete without girls. They are like uninvited guest, who will pop up in any chit-chat to make you feel you are still single. Some of my friends already fancied about these girls before coming here. But here things are really different. I didn’t had faintest idea that things will go like
this. No sooner did you talk to a girl you will be paired against her, sometimes even if you didn’t talk still .From the first day itself there were gossips about Miss x being paired against Mr y. We hated it so much that we preferred not talk to anyone rather than being ended up as someone’s pair. Still I was the victim of same. But my friends were unique. We make it a point to act differently when it comes to girl. We behaved in one of those awkward manners which attributes to your masculine childhood. Some did it by will some were forced by circumstances. In fact tell you frankly, you must have been nice to all girls that you meet in your life but you have missed the other half of story my friend. I takes a little effort to act like a good boy, it takes little extra to act badly.

And it continued….

Things changed a lot when we entered second year. In fact they say in engineering every year has its own flavor. My friends brought their P.C and so did I. then their started this endless saga of movies and gaming. In fact studies which were earlier thrown to corners, ceased to exit. Night walk were replaced by late night shows. IMDB ratings became classroom discussion. Some of us became the connoisseur of good movies. All they had to do to retain their title was to float one or two movies among the masses every day. There is not much difference between 2nd and 3rd year, except that you slowly try to return from that mad pursuit which you started one year back.

Before I leave…

Its final year now, it takes pain to say, a couple of months more and I will be leaving this place. I have no idea what the outside world will be. I know things will not be same again. Life again will never be a four letter word “NJOY”. In fact it will be tougher then ever thought. Everyday would be a challenge. But I am not scared, for I have learned what it takes to trade this life. Some of the best educations in life come through life itself.
I know for some of you, new to this place, may need time to understand all this. It took me more than three year. It will be same for you, till one fine evening, in final year, while reading newspaper in balcony, you will suddenly stop for a sec or two, to go through these moments of your life, and then you will laugh, just like me, till tears fill your eyes. I wish you all many such moments…


P.S : I wrote it some two years back, when in final year and read it again today so thought of sharing.

2 comments:

lony said...

Nicely summed up the four years.

Diwakar said...

@lony
thanks!